Thursday, August 26, 2004

I typed this looong post last night, filled with emotion about a certain charitable deed done by my uncle which touched me so much I thought I'd share it with everyone but when i clicked Publish Post the page failed to load and then everything is GONE! And the poem i submitted was one of the best I've ever written! ArGh!!! Poems don't just come anytime and everytime. They flow out when the time is right, the feeling is there. stupid...rewriting a poem is like redrawing a masterpiece. So, i boycotted Blogger last night and decided not to blog....

But, for my uncle's name sake, let me just tell you all what he did. You know those emails that says Please help my daughter, she has cancer and she's only 2...? well, how many of you forward those emails? Better yet, how many of you read them? No wait...how many of you even believe in them?? Well my uncle not only did all of the above, he actually went to visit the girl in SJMC. Then he banked in money into her family's bank account. Talk about noble. What he did touched me a lot and I now think that kindness goes waaaaay beyond just being nice and selfless. It's about taking actions, making a difference in another's life. I told my uncle how touched I was and this was what he said:

We are all champions, leaders and diamond. We just shine in different ways.

We choose our paths (be engineer, be employee, be housewife, be singer, be artist etc) and as long as we feel that we make full use of our life, we have no regrets. We were born to this world with special talent, skill sets and purpose, it is our duty and obligation to creator and parents to discover our hidden treasures, make full use of it for mankind, so that when the time comes for us to report back, we at least go back with pride.

As for myself, I have three rules for doing charity,
a. I do have an allocation, sort of like budget. By doing so (giving money), when I contribute, I do not feel the pain because it is already not mine.
b. I always ask myself this question, "would this dollar be more effective with him or with me?"
c. I do make sure that the money is being used in ways that I want it to be. Doing effective charity is definitely not easy.

Don't you just feel so ashamed right now? hehe...I do. In my many years of being a Leo I realised I'm not doing it for charity. I'm doing it due to power hunger, awards, maybe even for attention's sake. For all the wrong reasons. Sigh...well, not too late to change...

Anyway KDU clarified that they accept SAM. So, my guess is that's where I'll be going next year. Anybody wanna join me?? hehe....


No comments: