Saturday, October 07, 2006

no one plays tanglung anymore!

yesterday was the midautumn festival for the Chinese, or lantern/mooncake festival, as its better known as. (i actually just found out that it was called midautumn festival, so i'm using it everywhere). i was driving rather quickly home because some irresponsible group mate of mine was bugging the hell out of me. we had to run surveys at Sunway Pyramid and 1 Utama for Marketing Research.

anyway, as i was reaching home, i drove past some of the houses in ss17 and ss14 and realised that nobody was playing with lanterns! i prayed that my mum had taken out the old lanterns from the storeroom. when i reached home, sure enough, dimly lit lanterns were hung around the clothes hanger. but only my mum was in the mood. so i joined her in lighting up the paper lanterns. suddenly all these memories start coming back to me on the days i used to play with the back neighbourhood. we'd walk around in groups to a certain haunted house at some few rows back. then we'd sit in a circle, make a bondfire and tell ghost stories. then josh's dad would creep up from behind a bush and scare the shit out of us. and there'd be one poor soul whose shirt would get burnt somehow...haha...good times....:)

the memories got my own spirits burning, so i started sending messages to people in a frantic attempt to gather a group of people to come and rekindle the flame with me. but alas, i guess when you have friends who live 50 km away, last minute invitations dont work. i did think of my schoolmates, of which half have flown to white man's land. my 2 best friends were away, one in Malacca, the other all the way in Perth. and so, my mum and i played till the last candle melted down to liquidified wax.

but i guess i realised something. i realised how much i miss my friends from school, felt like i havent been in contact with them from sometime. i miss my brother, whose ninja turtle lantern was burnt in the stomach. and while i was talking to my mum, the person i missed most was my porpor. she'd buy each of us a lantern every single year, no matter how big we grew. if she was around, i'd buy her a lantern...:)

No comments: