Saturday, October 16, 2004

* best friends n boyfriends * Life of a teenage dirtbag...

it's a tragic life led by a teenager. Especially those within the age group of 17-19. ha! i'm right smack in the centre of that age group *grin*...and if u didn't know, according to the normal distribution, the centre value, the mod, has the highest value based on the bell shaped curve, thus being 18, is by far the worst year of your teenage life! and i have reasons to prove it...read on...

for most 18 year olds (some 17 for pts students), it is the year we leave 5 years of secondary school memories behind and move on to the next chapter of our lives. we meet fork roads where friends, inevitably, go separate ways. course there'll be those "4 get me nots" and "we'll keep in touch...u know, there's always the phone, the net...bla bla bla...." and the standard "we could still hang out? things will be the same, trust me". yea...i did. But to what degree exactly is the level of similarity of the lives we lead now and the lives we led a year ago? i mean, there's no doubt we put in efforts to hang out with old chums once in a while, doing a commonly shared interest or something...but how often do we get to do that?

I mean, COLLEGE IS NOT EASY. I've been chasing datelines ever since i stepped into that hell of a tertiary education and this is only the beginning. and of course, FORM 6 isn't any different. I think Julie can vouch for that. Honestly I think the easiest is the matrikulasi thing but then again, I'm in no position to judge. Anyway, it all voices down to LACK OF TIME.

Then there's the whole socializing thing. ppl make new friends and all...first you would think, I could hang out with these peeps while i'm not with my old buddies, why not? But then "jus hanging out" turns into "hanging out 24/7". My reason, i believe, is simple. These new peeps have no idea about your story and so u could become a new person with a clean record. Ure giving ureself another chance to prove that u wun mess up like u did before. And thus, these new peeps become more interesting. So, u hang out more and more with them and less and less with your old chums.

until one day, you chance upon the opportunity to meet up with old friends and then it strikes u in the face. U MISS them hell a lot! And u can't wait to do more of that "old friend bonding" thing. And so u come up with the brilliant idea of COMBINING the 2 groups.It works occasionally but trust me, it doesn't most of the time. I think it's simply because you're a different YOU with the 2 groups. So your friends can't mix. So this eventually leads to more time spent with new friends, less time spent with old ones. It's my own theory, so i dunno if u get me or not.

and as if things could not get any worse, your best friend runs along and gets a BOYFRIEND. first you're all "i'm sooo happy for you! Finally!!". And u know what? U ARE. at least for her. for THEM. But i'm not so sure about the "for US" part. It's like u've lost my partner in everything! Sure she'll be ever willing to be your friend and be by your side. Except that she...can't. And for once, you actually have to THINK before your wanna do something with her. You can't just call her up on a Saturday and expect her to get ready in 20 minutes to join u on a shopping escapade. She'll have a DATE. Forget about going out. What about "best friend telephone conversations?" She won't be able to talk long because she just got off the phone after a # long conversation. Or she's expecting a phone call. or the phone is ENGAGED altogether. Same goes to going out with her. She'd either say she's going out. Or she just came back so she doesn't wanna go out anymore. Or she's OUT. Or maybe even she has been to THAT place with him, or watched THAT movie. Or maybe she just needs to study, eat or watch TV because she has been going out too frequently, or talking on the phone too much. Either way...u can't get her. Mum says "why don't u find someone else?" Sure. If it was that simple. Firstly, teenagers have something called PEER GROUPS. U dun just barge in on another. Secondly,it's different. Your friends are all individuals. they like different sorta stuff. For example, A love shopping and B hates it. A hates wasting time, doing nothing, but B digs jus that. So, I can't call A to go driving aimlessly or eat Chocolate chocolate Sundae with me or call B to go on a shopping spree. It's just different. I've got different allocations for all my friends. So it's not the same. It'll never be the same.

And if u think that's the last straw to your already miserable adolescent life, think twice. You parents bugs u timelessly with RESULTS and UNIVERSITY APPLICATIONS. It's only normal. After all it IS ure FUTURE. Somehow the whole world revolves around education and you know it. And your parents think it's the only thing that matters. I mean, when i was down because of the above paragraph, they thought it was because i didn't want to study Chemistry. Not like I wanted to but yea...that's besides the point. It's like this heavy responsibility to decide what you're going to do next. So what do u plan to do? Tell them WHY you're really upset? Yea, I can just imagine my mum saying "Your finals are in 2 weeks time and that's all u can think about?" So i guess u just have to bite back your words and swallow your tears and keep nodding as they go on and on about Physiotherapy, Marketing, PR, Sains Sukan...

And that's life. Specifially a teenager's. To be exact, an 18 year old female college student who, on top of ALL THAT, has typed this for the 2ND time (thanks to blogger) on her Dad's com, with a dial up connection because her PC crashed on a thursday, disallowing her to enjoy her weekend chat routines in the middle of the night in the comfort of her own room. Sad?

well, snap back to reality. Finals are LESS than 2 weeks away. Somebody pinch me...

(note: To the subjects of this post, please don't get offended as I admit that I may have exaggerated it a little to spice things up. I'm a writer, sue me. But know that at least 60% of it is true. Also know that I'm not angry with anyone. I just needed a place to output my negative energy and that I'm fine at this very moment.)

(note: Notice that I couldn't Bold or Itallise anything? Somehow I couldn't. Not on this com.)

No comments: