Monday, March 06, 2006

KLIM race report

so i woke up at 5 am, ate my nestum with cocoa, drank my chlorophyll water, travelled with my dad all the way to KL, parked at Bukit Aman coz the roads were all closed, rushed all the way to Merdeka Square, found Sam, checked in my bag, met all these running enthusiasts and braced myself for the twen-ty-one-ki-lo-me-tres!

and....contrary to the full marathoners, i and most of my other half marathon comrades did not have a good race. with a timing that i most definitely did not expect even with my low confidence and self esteem, i very honestly think the race was more than 21 km. But who am i to say huh?

i did a disastrous 2 hours and 58 minutes. That's 2 minutes to getting disqualified and denied of a medal. I never actually pondered upon whether people who did not qualify actually get their medals or not, or did the organizers really pack up at a certain time wether or not people have completed their race, or do they really do all the things they say they would in the rules and regulations sheet they give out. Simply because i never thought i'd have to worry. Qualifying times are usually very safe bets. that's what i thought. coming in through the finishing line, i heard an official say:

"tinggal satu minit lagi ar...pastu take medal lagi"

i supposed that could be a relief to hear, but it made me a bit sad. i've been lamenting a lot to may family lately. about how my running form has really really dropped over the months. I cant find an explanation for it. I've slacked before but it usually takes me about a week to get back into shape, no more. Now it seems like its taking forever.

anyway, all said and done, i still am happy i completed. i wasnt in tip top condition health wise also. Ulcers were one thing. But the day before, when i thought it couldnt possibly get any worse, along came that time of the month. i had cramps during race. i wouldnt be surprised if i passed out. :) but 21 km is a feat within itself, if i should say so myself. so, yay me :)

*edit* oh...forgot to mention about very kind runners who helped gave me little boosts of energy during the race. They deserve some recognition. One was this mid-aged guy who let me have water...coz the dang water stations were out of water. he said let him know if i need more. well i did. but i couldnt keep up with him...:)

another guy, probably in his late 50s handed me a Power Gel. [kenny sia's definition of Power Gel cracked me up] It was the one they gave out free. He said he didnt like it, so he gave it to me at about 5 km to the finishing line. He said "this will help you finish the race. it's quite effective." ah...such nice people. i now have this thoery that old men are nicer than young guys. haha....


here are some pics...


Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket


*edit* My last 21km race report had me saying i would lay off the 21s till i'm ready, which hopefully would be this year's Putrajaya Half. i feel like strangling myself now for not listening to...well...me.

No comments: