Monday, June 05, 2006

on the road to recovery

I have been fairly satisfied with my running performance these past few days. I think the pills i'm on are sending me on the road to recovery, slowly but surely. I no longer pant when i run up hills, i no longer feel like giving up halfway, i'm still afraid to time myself but i can feel that i've picked up a faster pace. I'm doing a mileage of approximately 25 km a week, which is far more than i have ever done, even back then. I even managed to slip in a Bt Gasing climb on Saturday, coz my gim classes are taking 2 weeks off.

But the pills are not the only thing i owe it to. There's this other thing. Among all the words of advice i've ever gotten from runners all over the place, the best one is that given by Isaiah Kee. He's been a very encouraging and supportive friend of mine, i believe that he understands my predicament. He told me, just a couple of days before the 15 km run:

"Let your legs run by themselves"

These 6 words strung together isn't much to brag about, and it's pretty much understood when people tell you to "enjoy the run", you just let loose. But it doesn't work for me. I love running but fail to enjoy it in someway or another. I still bombard myself with expectations and hope and pressure. So by letting my legs run by themselves, i take my mind off the steps im taking. i take my mind off the distance im covering with every second that ticks by. i just...run.

Well, i hope this holds up. If i take my pills daily, and play my cards right, by next year's 15 km run i should be able to make a comeback. The doc says its a 12-18 month course. I'm hoping it takes me 12 months.

so i'm still burning with competitive drive...sue me. i've been racing since i was 13. i don't just quit.

I go about my business, I'm doing fine
Besides, what would I say if I had you on the line
Same old story, not much to say
Hearts are broken everyday
- Jewel

No comments: