Thursday, June 01, 2006

bedtime stories

ever since Lifemou lent me The Alchemist, i've been addicted to reading before i sleep.




My mum used to read me bedtime stories when i was a child. Then i grew up and learned how to read, and so i immersed myself in Enid Blyton books. But after some time i grew tired of reading. I guess "outdoor activities" got the better of me. I made friends with my neighbours and its not surprising that kejar-kejar or batu seremban or whatever games we used to play behind my house became much more interesting than reading. I figured i needn't a book to find solitude. My solitary place was this tree outside my house which i would often climb up to think (or to escape spanking).

So, i became a slow reader eventually. And that made me hate reading even more. It took me almost 2 weeks to finish The Alchemist.

But anyway, since i read about 10 pages every night, it got me hooked. So after i was done with it, i went and borrowed a book from my college library. It's called Walk Two Moons. It's actually labelled "Teen Readers" in MPH. But who cares...i'm twenteen what! :)



It's a great book! I actually looked forward to resuming my reading every night. It's like a story within a story within a story. No kidding! I enjoyed it so much that i now start to think like the little girl in the book. She's a nature lover and she's one with trees, bunnies, dogs, cows and horses. Just now I almost dived in between my maid, her broom and this cute little beetle on the floor. I told her not to kill it. Well, i've always had an afinity for beetles anyway. They've got really smooth shells.

So yea, i'm done with the book now. Feeling a bit touchy cause it wasn't a very happy ending.

I recommend it to all once upon a time Enid Blyton fans. Sharon Creech's Walk Two Moons is a must-read!

No comments: