Saturday, June 10, 2006

from diamonds to gold

i stared up the sky that night
filled with hope and inspiration it boasted
a vast blanket of stars beyond sight
like diamonds on black leather, it frosted

the morning brought zest in its rays
and energy, boundless beyond imagination
and the cool air sent a tingling as it said
make every step with determination

***

the harsh yellow dirt road scowled at my plight
as i had been treading on it far too long
every trudge dropped made a dent in my pride
and the mountains sang a bitter song

a whirlwind ransacked every corner of my head
a billion knots formed at my stomach pits
sleep, i heard the cry from my bed
up my throat it crept those little nasty bits

***

i stared up once again that gloomy morn
at the diamonds in the sky gleaming so brightly
i must have looked all too forlorn
for in their million shines i saw worry

the angry cold, gnawed at my strength
draining whatever that's left in me
1,2,3 steps was all i saw at length
as i crumbled down and shrunk in my misery

***

the golden light poured heat onto the cold rocks
with it, flowed warmth and certainty
the wall of my ego came up block by block
the will to go on, was tugged at gently

strength came to me in the form of a friend
overwhelming the rocky planes so bleak
step by step, atop the golden ascend
step by step, we stumbled upon the peak

a while ago Uncle Choi mentioned about writing a poem out of my Mt KK experience. figured i'd give it a shot. the idea of diamonds and gold came to me from reading "Walk Two Moons". well, enjoy...:)

No comments: