Monday, February 06, 2006

running blues

i've been hearing loud pak and thud and eeeee-booom outside. Today's chui kau which means the 9th day of chinese new year. For the hokkiens...today's like a super auspicious day. Betcha dont know the story to it. My mum told it to me yesterday. I must be the most dense Hokkien in history. hehe....apparently, the hokkiens and the cantonese used to be at war at one point. and the war was during CNY. The hokkiens hid in sugar cane plantations during the period. it was not only till the 9th day that they finally came out from the plantation. Thus, for most Hokkiens, the celebration of the 9th day is far bigger than the 1st day. and sugar canes are a must during this day.

hehe...just a little ancient chinese history to enlighten u guys. =)

anyway, continuing the last post...Melly's right. i couldn't have explained it any better.

on another note, i'm slowly returning to my former running form. i no longer feel extremely breathless when running around the lake. i was able to do a good 4 rounds without stopping. and my timing has improved a bit. feeling much happier.

yes...i plunged from a 6.5 minute a round to an 8 minute a round timing. and the fact that Keith was getting faster and faster flustered me even more. i won't deny it. i'm jealous. running was supposed to be my sport and swimming was his. he can very excel in swimming and leave the runs to me, that's what i thought. but now he's slowly conquering the running arena and i felt pushed aside as he gets showered with praises and compliments from mum, dad and big brother. i almost thought of giving up running. it puzzled me to think of how, my performance could deteriorate so much.

but i did a 7.5 minute a round today and that gave a spark of confidence back in me. it's still not the best, but i'm determined to whip myself back into shape, if not better. especially since my dad has no faith that i can do so.

watch me.

No comments: