Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Tragic

It saddens me to learn of the news on a fellow young runner's death at the annual Adidas King of the Road race last weekend. I received a text from Lyn this afternoon saying that her friend's brother took part in the 22km race on Sunday, collapsed from dehydration, and then later on went missing. The police search and rescue team found him the subsequent day, dead. I really don't know how to respond to this except to feel a deep sense of loss. I don't know him, but he was young, born 1987 according to his IC number, and he was a runner in my hometown. And to lose a young runner, who chose the healthy lifestyle, and took part in the 22km run, is really tragic.

While sudden death due to cardiac arrest happens, it doesn't happen very frequently to runners and most definitely not to youths under 25.

To Gary Leon Robert, may you rest in peace. To Gary's family and loved ones, my deepest condolences. I am extremely sorry for your loss.

To read more, go to mStar or runwitme's blog.

4 comments:

jote said...

Shucks.. that's terrible. My condolences to his family..

I'm curious though as to how on earth he was able to go missing? Where were the personnel or even the PBSM/St John people?

jote said...

Ok it took me a while but I just realised I know the guy's sister..

galnexdor said...

do you? shucks. i feel really bad about this...

theo said...

...and another potential casualty has been simmering back here - in Penang!
At least for the past 2 years, during the Penang Bridge International Marathon, water stations have dried up - even before the last large batch of runners have passed!

I've been asking them how many lives have to be sacrificed before the organizers own up? By signing indemnity declarations (on entry forms) does not mean the organizers are absolved from all responsibilities.

Any group that can help us runners fight for this simple cause? Consumer group? Jabatan Sukan Malaysia? HELP needed! Especially in PBIM runs!