Sunday, November 25, 2007

Judged and Be Judged

i became a judge today. i know what you're thinking.

"Didn't you fail your judging course?"

yea i did. or rather, i was not informed of my passing the exam. but the coach has faith that i will "not do much harm" and that at most all i need to worry about are "raging parents". geez. anyway, today was Mrs Khaw's Holiday Villa Gimrama Grading and Competition. and Mrs Khaw was one judge short. so she upgraded my position from emcee/dj to Judge. She initially said i'd be judging Little Gymnasts only. Which was great! I know the elements by heart, and since there were only 3 routines, I was done in a couple of hours.

Just when i was starting to have fun, she plonks another stack of judging forms on my table. Grade 1A and 1B. Okay, not too familiar with this grade, but it's not much different from LG. Plus there was a guide which comes complete with symbols, so I did okay. :)

Done with the Grade 1s. I was really enjoying the power that comes with deducting marks. Though 9 times out of 10 i had to look through my forms again because i was deducting way too little as compared to my co-judge. Then came the more senior grades. Running short of time (as always) Mrs Khaw plonks another stack on my table. Grade 5! crazy! I didn't even pass my Level 1 judging course and that's up to Grade 2 only!

You can pretty much tell i was stressing my way through. I was so afraid to deduct but i was even more afraid to not deduct. coz that would mean i missed a mistake the gymnast made. and judging rhythmic gymnastics is all about spotting mistakes. I was so afraid i may pass/fail someone who did not deserve to pass/fail.

Well, i survived. Judging is not easy. But it is also not all that hard. I had fun though. Loads of it. Plus the pay is higher. a LOT higher. :)

***

I'll be coming on The 8TV Quickie tomorrow(Monday, 26th November) night at 11.30 pm! Tune in to 8TV at said time to catch my TV debut with Jordan. haha...

7 comments:

ling said...

u didnt mean holiday villa as in holiday villa subang jaya did u??

Anonymous said...

that was me by the way..

shirlyn said...

oh gosh!! i miss grading...sob....

if u got upgraded to a judge, mayb i'll get upgraded from a cassette "player" to an emcee....hahaha...

shirlyn said...

n i miss missuz khaw too!!

galnexdor said...

ph hello peiling, ahha for a moment i thought u were this other friend of mine...and yea its HV Subang Jaya. :) why? were u there?

lyn: I KNOW! we were like, Lyn's missing! so weird without u. and yeaaa...judging is so fun! a bit scary tho :)

ling said...

yes i was! haha was having buffet with family and saw these cute girls in their costumes.

galnexdor said...

ahahha yupyup...they all brought their game this year for the grading...lotsa fine looking leotards...