Sunday, May 21, 2006

15 friggin' kilometres

I guess the only people that were eating my dust were the police officers on their bikes (trailing me) and the officials at the water stations, and the st john's cadets. The race was a good one but i guess i expected too much out of myself. Have you ever tried scolding yourself in the mind? It can be quite harsh. For me at least.

Anyway, i was most excited for this race. Not because of my condition, because of the various people i'd be meeting this time around. I've gathered a significant network of friends that will make my races more interesting from now on.

In the morning i met, first the tri gang. As always they never fail to intimidate me with their bulging hemstrings and oh-so-amazing suits. Then sometime later i met the Subang Lake gang. They too never fail to make me feel inferior. Isaiah and the other Malay guy cycled to Padang Merbuk! After checking in my bag and doing my stretches and warm up, i bumped into the Mt KK gang. The first thing they said, was "better nto let Ben catch you walking!" *Jamie points finger at me* hardi har har.

The start gun went off kinda unexpectedly. There were these 2 torch barriers which was a first. I started a slow and steady pace.

Along the way i met a few more people, whom ive seen around in runs and other races. We don't know each others' names but we'd always greet and nod. Runners are friendly people. :) I met the guy who passed me the powergel in the KLIM.

I would say most of the time i was willing myself to go on. I would fall in and out of a comfortable pace once in a while. I somehow couldn't find a pace whereby i could just glide on without much panting. But i hung in there for the first 10 kms. It wasn't until we had to make a second loop did i start falling behind. uphills seemed like forever. me head throbbed. my heart pounded.

this time i was walking and running and walking and running. Here's where the meaner side of me showed up in my head. I was pschoing myself to not stop, willing myself to go on, when i just stopped. as if it was involuntarily. I scolded mself in my head again and again. I lost count of how many times i told myself 'Ok, this time im running home".

I came in much later. Found my dad and realised he did it in 1 hour 34 mintues. He ran so hard his toe bled. !!!??

daddy's toe


But i'm making a recovery. This race was slightly better than KLIM, Power and MMDS. I was actually rather happy with myself for not giving up any earlier than the 10k mark. I guess these things take time. The most important this is I keep striving. wow. i never thought i'd say that. :)

2004
2005
2006

No comments: