Saturday, April 08, 2006

the big bad ball...

We were talking about the latest of events that were happening in our lives and Sing Foong told us that he had an annual dinner coming up. It is supposed to be like a prom, and almost the entire uni is going. So he said that he'd already bought his suit...for seven-friggin-hundred bucks!! i was...speechless....

So what issit about balls and proms???

Girls crack their heads, figuring out what to wear, what bag to don, what hairstyle to spot and what height should their heels be. Guys worry about who to ask, then worry about how to ask, then what car to drive, what colour flowers to buy and lastly, how to pay.

Isn't it overrated? I mean, we pay an exorbitant amount for a dinner we probably nibble a corner of each dish. We (girls) go all out to buy a dress just to outdo every other dress on that evening which cost us our half our life savings only to wear it once. We spend barely half the time at our tables, because we're going all over the place snapping photos with friends from other tables. We almost never pay attention to the performances except for the announcement of Prom King, Queen and the "royal family". We (guys) pay so much for both tickets just because it is said to be gentlemanly to pay for their dates. And after an evening of beauty and grace, everyone drops the act and heads to a nearby mamak, fully dressed in dinner gowns and such, just because nobody ate much...sounds kinda silly huh?

but yet, year after year (if we're lucky) we drool and dote on the event, gossiping at who's taking who to the prom. and it all makes sense. i don't know about guys, but this is from a girl's point of view. we all have that magical dream. to don a lovely dress, have the perfect date, be the envy of everyone, and hopefully, a spark of chemistry will go off. It's the whole cinderella idea. Almost every girl wishes to be seen as who she is on prom night. I remember during my SAM prom, i could barely recognise one of my classmates. She most definitely blew many minds that night, for she was one who sat at the corner of the class, quietly doing all the work, practically belittling herself behind her glasses. Like it or not, it is the time we try our best to show off what we're really made off. Yes...physical attributes and all. Because we're women.

To be very honest, I wasnt a firm believer of proms. I saw it as a dinner with extended friends. But my first ever prom experience was one i'll never forget. In all my years, I have never been treated with such kindness, respect, gentleness and understanding before. As frequent readers and friends of mine would know, i am not one for chivalry. I'm more of a friend to guys, rather than a girlfriend. I like my friends to know that i can stand on my own two feet, and i usually don't appreciate people extending their hands out to me because i always liked getting out of messes my way.

but yea...back to my story. Since it was, afterall, prom...i decided to let myself be pampered. and the fact that i had a date, well that's news to me already. My date was a very close friend of mine. One where i've considered as more than a friend before. We had a thing going on but nothing too serious. And i wouldnt dream of going to our senior prom with any other person. Long story short, it was a magical night. From the moment he picked me up from my house, to the very end of the night when he sent me home. I felt as though my face was perpetually flushed with content.

No...we didnt kiss...no...we didnt end up together. But i did feel warm and fuzzy. He was a great date, and i owe the night all to him...

So, proms are overrated. But that is because it means so much more than just a dinner. It isn't just a one night thing, but the very meaning of a prom starts from the moment one decides to go to the prom and, wishfully thinking, the days that follow. And yes, i did just buy my metroball ticket. I guess the journey starts now. Except for the whole date part...something tells me i'm gonna have to make do without one this time around....:)

No comments: