Friday, February 05, 2010

age is just a number

I know we say this a lot. That we feel so old.

We go to Sunway Pyramid on a weekend and see clutters of teenagers lining up outside the McD ice cream booth. We feel old.

We're denied concession price when we go and play bowling. We feel old.

We hit the clubs (not like i do) and see girls coming in with bolder make up and shorter mini skirts. We feel old.

We get caught in the Sri KL traffic jam and see all these kids going into nice, posh cars. We feel old.

We listen to the next table at the mamak talking about 18th birthday parties. We feel old.

Ok maybe some of us feel it a little more than others. I, for one, seem to be quite conscious of my own age. I don't know why. I feel like I'm trying to cling on to my youth for as long as I can just so I can have an excuse to...I don't know....mess up. Adults are expected to behave too much. Tolerance for screw ups is lower once you're anything more than 21. It's ok for a 20 year old to forget to do a chore, but when you're 23 and you do that, *bam* you're a late bloomer. You take months to finish a book, *bam* you're slow.

I had no idea what Britney Spears was singing about back then when she said I'm not a girl, Not yet a woman. But I think it's starting to make sense to me now. I'm not young enough to slip up and get away with it, but still not quite the age to just know all the right things. That's what I think, anyway. Especially in our Asian culture, where we live with our parents till we're married. The transition its a little more accented and sharp, one minute you're daddy's little girl, and the next you're expected to be the woman of the house.

People say teenagers go through a hard time. I actually think my teenage years aren't all that bad. Sure I had bad hair issues, and boy issues. But less was expected of me than now. But I guess, only then can we grow into sensible, grounded adults. *shrug*

4 comments:

Kevin Siah said...

Overtake a group of 18 year old boys at a road race, and you'll feel like you were born yesterday!

You are as young as you feel. I still feel like I'm 16. At least that's what my biological age says :P

Theo said...

=) feeling old are those melancholic moods that hit us when we haven't even started, life as it is, already moving faster and faster. one needs to come full circle to grasp what is it all about.

Li-Ann said...

"20 year old to forget to do a chore, but when you're 23 and you do that, *bam* you're a late bloomer. You take months to finish a book, *bam* you're slow." Ooo dont be so harsh on adults! That makes me even more fearful of adulthood--surely there must be some leeway! They've got a lot to deal with!

i say: just don't judge yourself (or others) on how sensible/adult-like you/others should be. Maybe just aim be the nicest little kid in the playgound. i'm guessing that its easier to deal with life that way.

Li-Ann said...

incidentally i am loving this song which kind of is related to your post:
"taller children- by elizabeth and the catapult"