Friday, February 23, 2007

the walking wounded

So I was in a dreary mood, in need of some sort of stimulator, some motivation...some spirit lifter, if you must. The holidays have done nothing but turn me into the very animal this Lunar year symbolizes - the Pig. I have been struggling to wake up before 11 am, and the moment i do, i practically plant myself in front of the TV and dive into the jars and containers of cookies on the table. I'm telling you, CNY is a health hazard...but i digress.

I figured a nice warm movie would do the trick, since the best lines are from the movies. But Astro was in the mood for either bloody horror movies or senseless b&w movies. What i needed wanted was a romantic comedy because...well...just because. So i bit torrented The Holiday. The transfer was surprisingly fast and i was able to watch it from the comfort of my own air conditioned room in a few hours.
The Holiday is a brilliant movie. I felt it made a lot of sense. I really felt like i could relate to Iris (Kate Winslet). In fact i liked her character so much, i'm actually blogging with a British accent right now, that is, if you could hear my thoughts. Did i mention how hot Jude Law is? I never thought he was, not until now. I need to get myself a Brit. haha...but seriously, the movie pretty much hit all the right spots in my emotional system. Nevermind the fact that i'm in an even more emo mood than i was before.

Here's a particular excerpt from the movie which i like best. It was actually sort of a narration at the beginning of the movie by Iris.

And then there was another kind of love...the cruelest kind. The one that almost kills its victims. It's called unrequited love. Of that I am an expert. Most love stories are about people who fall in love...with each other. But what about the rest of us? What about our stories, those of us who fall in love alone? We are the victims of the one-sided affair, we are the cursed of the loved ones. We are the unloved ones, the walking wounded. The handicapped without the advantage of a great parking space! Yes you are looking at one such individual.
Dead true, isn't it?

6 comments:

Kevin Siah said...

Li-Ann said the movie was 'okay'. And she didn't like Jude Law because he's a reputable playboy.

galnexdor said...

kor: but he's soooo handsome!! seriously so so handsome! ahahah but kate winslet quite aunty la...find it so funny that jack black is in it tho...he sticks out like a sore thumb

eugene: hahahah...i didnt know u watched it in singapore...maybe u should've watched it with the participant who had the hots for u...=)

Anonymous said...

tsk tsk karen karen.... lol~

galnexdor said...

haha...it WAS a good movie...*shrugs*

jote said...

Go see Music and Lyrics.! You can't go wrong with a Hugh Grant romance.. and Drew Barrymore ain't bad either. =]

I'd personally rate it way above The Holiday.

Anonymous said...

hey...that excerpt really 'hit' me...ahhaha...
high 5 karen!

those of us who fall in love alone.
the unloved ones.