Friday, September 08, 2006

the walk

it was a shady yet bright morning. post rain. i had a good night sleep of 9 full hours. it's been a while since i had that. i got up, and went down for breakfast. made myself hot Milo kosong, and scarfed down a piece of butter chocolate cake.

i went up and changed into my sports top. scooped my hair up into a ponytail (or the best i can make out of my short hair). i pulled my t shirt over and galloped down the stairs. i dragged out my mum's Brooks and put them on. grabbed my backpack, and off i went. the weather was perfect. i had a little skip to my brisk walk.

i took the main road down. it's a lot safer, plus, there's more to see. as i passed by my primary school, i realised how much it has changed. i mean, i never observed it long enough. even when i fetch Keith, i usually sit in the car and enjoy the radio. Then i remembered.

we were hiding under the staircase. the TAK Tangga we called it. and of all people we were hiding from her. it was hilarious. especially when i tripped and fell. A and T brought me up to the Bilik Sakit and put 4 plasters on my wound. it seriously only needed one strip. but the blood that smeared all around disgusted them. Then we got back to class and got yelled at by Puan Puteri Diana.

next i walked down Padang Asam. there was a couple sitting on one of the benches. i smiled as i remembered all the rumours i've heard about that place during school. but right there in daylight, it seemed just as innocent as it is - a children's playpen. an image flashed before me.

it was a piece of paper with my name on it. someone wrote "I *heart* Karen" and left it on the ground. i could recognize the handwriting. it was unmistakable. why would he drop it there? he knew i walked home through this place everyday. did he do it on purpose?

a question i never got the answer to. i continued on. walking past SMKSJ, memories started to grow in my mind. i stepped up onto the pavement at the corner. another image flashed.

the Roti man's motorbike was parked there as usual. it was after school, approaching 7 pm. i wanted to go home, but L asked me to stay. She asked me to 'teman' her till her dad comes. it felt pretty good that this popular senior had requested my company. She introduced me to several other seniors. Who would've thought i'd date one of them someday. I accompanied her for a few days after that.

I wonder where L is now. actually, i wonder how we were, once upon a time, that close. i stumbled upon her blog recently. she seems to be doing fine. i carried on walking down the road till i reached the shops. something about this place seemed so familiar.

puv and i are rushing to college again. coz he was late, again. but i guess it never really bothered me. coz i could always count on him.

haha...at least i always could then. nowadays i'd be lucky if he replies my sms in an hour. but i guess he'd still be the guy next door to me. or rather...No.61. :) up the bridge i ran. i did intend to work up a sweat. went to the Post Office and on to Public Bank. Maybe daddy should send me on errands more often. i get to exercise and get things done, without wasting petrol. heh. walking back up from Public Bank, i decided to stop by one of the shops on the other row. I cut through Success, which was quite a haunt back in those days.

it's Wednesday again. and i was feeling like a hot Kuey Tiaw T'ng for RM2.70. so the G2 peeps met me outside class. and we headed over to Success. then we'd go up the stairs to the dingy 1st floor which stank of damp carpets.

i made my way back home. as it is, my backpack was damp with my sweat too. crossing school again, this uncle on a motorbike waved at me. "Excuse me, can you help me?" I think society has made us all paranoid. My first instinct was to ignore and walk as fast as i could away. If he gives chase i'll run. I'm prepared, i thought. "Sorry. Don't worry, i'm not a robber. I just want to ask where this address is". he must've seen me tense up. So he stopped 3 feet away from me and shouted over. after that i kinda felt bad for thinking otherwise. i pointed him in the direction. as he left, i prayed he found the place. I wasn't sure where it was too.

2 soft honks came from a little green kelissa. Why, if it wasn't Mr Khaw. haha...i bet he thought i was crazy to be walking under the sun at 11.30 am. owell...

i reached home safe and sound. and very much enlightenned by my little walk down memory lane today. :)

No comments: