Sunday, August 13, 2006

being noble, feeling greedy and going green

Circle-K made a visit to Pusat Kasih Sayang in Klang yesterday afternoon. It was a home for the mentally challenged and might i say, i've never felt more touched. i've done m fair share of community service, what with being a Leo for almost 4 years in school and college. But we usually visit orphanges or run gotong-royong in parks and stuff. You might think visiting a mentally challenged home might be just as heart-warming as visiting any other home. But in the numerous times i've visited homes, this one left the deepest impact on me. First of all, orphanages are actually quite rich. famous ones, especially, get charitable donations so often that the orphans have astro to watch and good food to eat. their rooms are packed with toys given to them. sure, they're still deprived in certain aspects, but really they're fine. think of it as a lifetime summer camp.

But the home for the mentally challenged, that's something to think about. With its residents ranging from 11 years old to 50 + years old, it was a hard activity to pull off. Very honestly, we were at a lost, wondering what we should do, do we play games? If we do, would it be "hide n seek" or something more mature? If we sing songs, should they be nursery rhymes or "Greatest Love of All" by Whitney? we were at a lost. Luck for us, they were very easy to handle, contrary to what most would think. They were so loving and accomodating. we played a bit of telematch, and a bit of Hokey Pokey. We sung songs like "My Girl", Mariah's "Hero" and Disney songs. We had tea with them and helped them clean up after. then we played the radio and started dancing with them. Simple measures which makes them squeal with laughter! My heart went out to them.

flowers
paper flowers made by them to be sold

fun n games
fun n games with them


When we had to leave, we presented them with some household groceries (rice, milo etc.) and a cash donation of RM200. I felt so sad to leave. There was a 16 year old who kept asking me in mandarin "Jie jie huey chia liao ah? Ming tien mei you lai liao ah?" (Sister you're going home now? tomorrow you're not coming back?"). It was at the tip of my tongue to say i was going to come back. Just so i could erase the hurt on her face. sigh.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Thahirah handing the donations to the youngest resident

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I'll try to get a hold on the contact number. it's a place worth visiting. :)

***

Yesterday was Ms Tan Lay Hong's 21st Birthday! She's better known as Grace to me. I just like to tease her with her chinese name. I suppose a grand 21st birthday party is what everyone needs. Hers was pretty major. catering, 10 tables, loads of relatives and friends, big house. I was telling everyone, it's been ages since i went for a birthday party. was kinda doubtful whether it'd be awkward to go for this one. basically we just ate and snapped pictures. i guess when u touch the 20s, games like spin the bottle falls on deaf ears. :)

subang metro ppl


yes, and for the record, i ate a lot. i had something like 3 helpings. hehe...

***

so i even had my nails painted for the occassion. this was an event i was anxiously waiting for, for 2 reasons. 1. because its been a while i've been off road running and was starting to miss the jungle. 2. because its a familiar route. :)

Bukit Gasing Green Challenge was jointly organized by Corezone and Friends of Bukit Gasing if i'm not mistaken. to me, the turn out wasn't too good. Perhaps it lacked the publicity. but anywhos there were easily 25 people per category. Flag off was at SMK La Salle PJ, which i found rather amusing. the school was buzzing with energetic chi this morning. we had the Fitness First group x Demo Team which always blows my mind. i really love watching them.


Group X


The Men's Adventure category flagged off first. My dad and Lifemou were taking part. oh and Isaiah too. haha somebody got forced by company to run. :) 2 minutes later, it was the Women's Adventure. I didnt have a hydrapak. So i made do with those draw string bagpacks where i stowed a bottle and a powergel in. The beginning of the route was a very very steep uphill road stretch. though i started with a steady jogging pace, i soon downgraded to brisk walking with big steps, less than 10 minutes into the race. ahaha...uphills kill, ok! i saw my dad further up. Ashley was still in view but was fast disappearing. i struggled up till the road mellowed to a flatter terrain. picked up my pace again and off i went! i loved down hills. even more in the jungle. i sped down the downhills on the verge of losing control of my movements. my bagpack swinging left and right. in my humble p.o.v, if you're not afraid to run down, then run. chances are you'll overtake many. people are afraid of descending.

the downhill stretch was exciting, though shortlived. very soon, the majestic lushes slope stood before me, threatening. remembering the times on Mt KK, i decided to take it slow and steady, which surprisingly also allowed me to overtake a few people. Dont you just LOVE trail running? that was how it was throughout the route. uphill downhill uphill downhill. in between there were road stretches whereby checkpoints and drinking stations were located. They said there wouldn't be any drinking stations! if i had known i didnt have to carry my bottle around! if i had not brought my Brooks bottle, i'd have left my bagpack somewhere.

the jungle floors were infested with vines that were infested with thorns! i lost count of how many times my foot got caught in those vines, scratching my ankles! i winced each time, but never bothered to look down. Did i mention how much i LOVE trail running? you just keep going and going without a care in the world! you're too psyched too even feel tired or pain!

at checkpoint 1, i was told i was the 3rd girl. i was ecstatic but tried not to keep my hopes up. Marshalls may have miscounted. i just tried my best to stay as far away as possible from any women behind me. i was running alone for some time. i only saw men in front. overtook a few men. but no women were in sight. i wondered how far ahead the 2nd placing girl was.

at checkpoint 2, they told me i was 3rd again. which this time i chose to believe. i started praying that no one catches up with me, because i was NOT up for a challenge. i was exhausted and my legs were starting to tremble! if a lady were to overtake me, i swore i had nothing left to chase after her. lucky for me, none did. :)

finally, 1 hour 20 minutes later i was on a busy road again. my energy level gradually increased as i recognized the familiar roads that led to La Salle. i picked up my running (which somehow has gotten disoriented after blazing through the woods). i ran through the finish clocking 1 hour 24 minutes, bleeding ankles and all!

3rd place, baby!


my daddy and i
daddy dearest

ben and i
ben, who decided the route they gave werent long enough

roland
roland. he runs in ss18. ive seen him a few times.

tough girls
tough girls L-R: zeus, ashley (the champion), i-dont-know-who, elaine, i-dont-know-who.

battle scars
yes, i figured one big patch of raw flesh on my shin wasn't aesthetic enough. :)

3rd
feel like first place :)


things that were in the bag:
1. Polar heart rate monitor watch
2. Fitness First thermos mug
3. Fitness First 1 week membership for 2
4. Powerbar towel

oh and i have to say this. i love my dad to bits! he bought me a Camelbak! 1.5L hydrapak just for moi!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


of course it took some negotiation, and a barter trade with the Polar Heart Rate Monitor and the FF Thermos Mug...

this weekend i'll be pounding the grounds of Sentosa fully hydrated! whoopee!

No comments: