Wednesday, November 15, 2006

tough competition

results for powerman are out, and lo and behold, i got last place. well, can't say i wasn't expecting it. but it still bums me out anyhow. what saddens me was the fact that my first 10km run was the slowest of the pact. and i so wanted to get a headstart with my running. i thought that maybe the heat had affected everyone else too. but it seems to me everyone was running fine. i know i shouldn't be discouraged because of this. i mean, it still was a feat in itself, to have gone without prior training. and having to run under the sun and then, cycle in the rain at my first long distance race is quite a challenge. but who am i kidding. there were many there that day who were first timers as well.

just makes me think. have i really gone down? i know it's not right to wallow in former glory, but there was a time when every race i went for would guarantee me a medal in hand. doesn't have to be the top 10. just the top 30 or something. my dad used to say i was a "medal prospect". it was pretty cool.

now my timing have improved. what used to be 6.5 minutes per km, went down to 6 minutes/km and is now going steadily under 6 minutes for 10km distances or less. my stamina have improved by leaps and bounds too. 3 years back i would have never even thought of going for a half marathon, let alone a Powerman.

but competition is getting tougher and tougher. like my brother said, it's a whole different league now. and though self satisfaction has served me well as a reward and drive, i can't help but think that sometimes, that ain't enough.

oh well, doesn't deter me from wanting to join again next year. if at all, it actually drives me to strive harder. from now on, it's the full distance throughout the entire series. that's if there still is the MMDS and the Powerman, considering Malakoff shares have been sold off. and the aim? to not emerge last, anymore. coz i'm a bad loser. i really am. heh. :)

oh i've changed the layout because i wanted to get the blogger comment system back. and the only way i knew how to do that was to get a blogger template again. Haloscan seems to disappear pretty often. now thanks to blogger's word verification, there won't be spamming anymore, so blogger it is. and for those who congratulated me in the haloscan system, i just read them today. thanks a lot! i guess if self satisfaction fails me, i always have you guys to keep me going...:)

p.s.: i'm done reading Mary Higgins Clark! Finally, i can start on the Devil. But i have to say, Mary Higgins Clark is an amazing writer! I'll definitely borrow her other novels next sem. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dont worry about the results.. completing the whole damn thing is an achievement already.... who can seriously walk up to u and say they are a Powerman finisher...

very few.... so take care and hope to see u in other races...