Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Metropolitan College Gala Night 2007 @ PJ Hilton

Because someone said the previous post sounded more like a grammy speech rather than an event report, i've decided to write an actual report.

The day actually started with Cassandra and I walking to SizzaMagic because they wanted to get our hair done. This was at 10 am. I know, why do we have to set our hair so early right? Because we've got a super uptight schedule that day which gives us only an hour of "mingle with friends". Anyway, the hair dressing itself took almost 3 hours. Thank God i've got all my bags packed already, so all I had to do was go home and get them. But i had to drive 2 other girls there, and they were still getting their hair done at 2.15 pm, while we were expected to be in Hilton by 2.30 pm. We missed the lunch college treated. sigh...
camwhoring in the car waiting for the girls
Since we were already late, I managed to pick Shakti also. We finally reached Hilton at about 3.30 pm, and started rehearsing. The stage was pretty small, and the backstage was dodgiest i've ever seen! After chomping down 2 sandwiches at 4.30 pm, we were hurried to the hotel rooms where we changed and got our hair touched up and make up done. Being a performer consumes a LOT of time. It's not easy being a diva, i tell you!

At about 8 pm we shooed out of the hotel rooms and into a little hall just outside the stage where they kept us till it was time to perform. The Grease play was a major success! I think everyone truly enjoyed it! There was a lot of laughter and applause so we must've done something right :)
After the play, Ronald came backstage and started yelling "Mr & Ms GO CHANGE!". Cursing the bad scheduling, i rushed to change out of my 60s outfit and into my dress. Then cursing all the way down the staircase in my heels, i hurried to the bathroom and then to the banquet hall where i literally ran across to where the Misses were standing as fast as my 3.5 inch heels could carry me. I was the the first one to go out and my heart was pumping like mad! The other girls looked gorgeous and Emily was simply stunning. They were all radiant and bright. I was suffering from mild gastric and sweaty palms.
i look like she-hulk next to the slim and slender nominees...
Then the MC announced our names. I walked up with Alfred. He looked pretty confident. We strode around the VIP table and alnog the red carpet. Seriously, walking on the red carpet has a rather dizzying effect. The flashes from the camera, the smiles from the people around. No wonder celebrities take such pain in making that one walk the best walk of the entire evening.

Back on stage, the girls were whispering amongst themselves. I wonder whether they do this at pageants. I was too jumpy with nerves to join in the conversation. They announced Mr. Metropolitan first, and Sean got it. No surprises there, he was pretty much the favourite all this while. When it came to Ms Metropolitan, the MC stalled and started asking everyone who it should be. The crowd literally roared "Karen!!!" and then he asked "Why should she be Ms Metro?" and someone yelled "Because she's the man!". what the....

Anyway, when the MC (which is Landslide, formerly a member of Poetic Amo), announced that the Ms Metropolitan title was mine, i was seriously stumped. I'm not just saying this out of humility or humbleness, but i was seriously stumped. I was so sure Emily was going to win it, and to be honest, I was so sure I was going to be disappointed. So when I heard my name, I was in utter disbelief. Then an even bigger surprise stumped me further when Khoa shows up next to me with a huge bouquet of purple lillies! Yes yes, Khoa's my hot Vietnamese, if you should know. My dear friends were sweet enough to chip in and buy me flowers!:)
Everything after that was a blur. I had wanted so much to sit down and eat, but the moment i got off stage people ambushed me with cameras. Not that I'm complaining la. It was my 60 minutes of fame. I stood and smiled and hugged and thanked so much that when i finally sat down to have a bite, i lost all my apetite. I ate only a mouthful of rice and 3 prawns.

So the after party started at A&W drive in which was right outside. I scarfed down a regular coneydog combo! :) Then we headed to Decanter @ Hartmas for some scotch whiskey and beer. I honestly found that to be the best scotch whiskey i've ever tasted. :)
The night ended at 4-ish in the morning. Joey stayed over, but before we launched into girly sleep over pillow talks she was already so gone. haha i thought i was supposed to be the drunk one. *shrug*

memories of the night are still lingering in my head. who says you need a date to make a night memorable? all you need is a bunch of your favourite pals.

6 comments:

Wendy said...

oh my god you look gorgeous.

Mei Ling said...

congrats!!! you look really chun btw.

and i notice that you're wearing that watch that you've been wearing since you were young. haha.. lucky charm?

galnexdor said...

wendy: ahah thanks...:)

mei: thanks...yea i totally forgot to remove the watch! ahaha my friends were like Karen, ure supposed to get a new watch!

sgloong said...

ur awesome.... congrats.... me drooling already....

galnexdor said...

sgloong: haha thanks....

bola2api said...

karen,

congrats! u look v nice lah.