Sunday, December 17, 2006

NCS Charity Run

yup, it seemed only right that with my brother back from Perth, the entire family would once again march onto the battle field as one where runners combat in an endurance feat to find a victor amongst the rest.

Well, actually...i just needed my running fix as i've laid off running for a long long time. thanks to the sprained ankle, and the ever so hectic schedule of OYP/ACC 6 devoid of PT (physical training) time, and the immense post OB behaviour which consists largely of long bumming periods and even longer sleeping periods.

but i've pulled through. So at 6.30 am, the entire Siah family was found in Kiara Park in TTDI, stretching, lunging, chatting, warming up and bracing ourselves for the treacherous uphills and slopes of the Kiara Park route. 7 am, the veterans were flagged off. this consists of runners aged 40 and above. 7.05 am, the adults were flagged off, aged 22 and above. and finally at 7.10 am, the young adults, consisting of those aged 12 to 21 were flagged off.

My younger brother and i were in the same age category, which was a disappointment...to me. because that meant we flagged off at the same time. and try as i might, i wasn't able to keep up with the young lad, even when if i pride myself to be OB trained to tackle those hills. however, the poor guy has a handful of African/Kenyan runners to compete with. it was hard keeping a steady pace when i have had zero training since the Powerman. nonetheless, i persevered.

slowly but surely i overtook girls who were in my category. Adele was somewhere along the way snapping pictures. finally as i veered out of the park and into the finishing line, i was quite shocked to learn that i have emerged First! my first reaction was ecstasy of course. but when Uncle Stan's little girl came up to me saying "woh hen sin tong! woh nah di si ming!" (I'm so disappointed, i got 4th place!) my heart went out to her. then Keith came up to me and said he came in about 3 minutes before me, and got 15th place. now i feel like a big bully. depriving little kids of prizes they deserve for their efforts.

i promise i shall share every single box of cornflakes in that hamper with Keith.

in a nutshell, it was a good run. :) i feel a tad healthier now.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

what does NCS stands for?

galnexdor said...

oh..national cancer society...:)

Anonymous said...

HI, Karen, I stumbled on yr blog, remember me? you overtook me on the way down the hill and i was trailing you all the way to the finishing line. I spoke to you while we were lining up for the collection of certs on how we have bumped into each other on runs...:)

galnexdor said...

oh yea! hellooo!! nice to see u here!

Anonymous said...

karen!1st ar??damn big improvement rite?hehehee..but anyway,congrats..think u certainly welldeserved it..btw..do i smell dinner on you on thursday for celebration??

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.